KA: On Monday evening I missed my ride home so I called an oober to get home from work, something I do frequently throughout the week. The car pulled up fast and too close to the curb, but it wasn't until I got in that I realized that the driver was drunk. I tried to tell the driver to stop, but he either understood no English, or was too drunk to care. The car went faster though we were approaching traffic stopped at a light. At the last second, he slammed on the brakes and skidded into the car in front of him and tapped the car ahead of him. The driver of the other car got out and started yelling in Hindi at the oober driver, and the oober driver (with me still in it) threw the car into reverse to pull around and flee the accident. The other driver jumped in front of the oober forcing him to stop, but he kept pumping the gas and almost running him over until he finally got out of the way. At which point everyone at the light understood what was going on and, in an impressive display of community organization, all pulled up to cut him off and block his escape. Once he was fully stopped and yelling at the crowd, I jumped out and made it to the sidewalk. A traffic cop materialized out of nowhere and pulled him out of the car and to the other side of the street where the oober driver began pleading with the police officer on hands and knees.
I'm fine, no injury and barely scratches on the cars. A good reminder to be careful though I've done something a hundred times.
I'm fine, no injury and barely scratches on the cars. A good reminder to be careful though I've done something a hundred times.
No comments:
Post a Comment